Thursday, June 19, 2008

Spirituality

This past weekend during the adult session of stake conference Elder Callister of the Seventy spoke on spirituality. Wow...I left feeling as if I had feasted. I thought I'd share some of this feast with you. He began by asking us if we could have double of something what would we ask for. Some might say, "double my income," others might say, "double the size of my house" and some might even say, "double my life expectancy." He then referred to 2 Kings chapter 2 where Elijah asks what Elisha desires before he leaves. Elisha responded by saying, "...I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me." What would it be like to have an increase portion of Heavenly Father's spirit with us and what does it really mean to increase our spirituality?

David O. McKay's stated, "Spirituality is the consciousness of victory over one's self."

Stop and think about that for a minute or two (I've been thinking about it ever since I first heard it). What does that mean to you? Elder Callister gave a few examples by saying, "If you have a hard time getting up at 6:00, don't, get up at 5:55. If you have a hard time leaving food on your plate, get up from the table before you've eating everything. Leave a little bit." Anytime we can overcome a tendency of the natural man, even if it's to the smallest degree, that is spirituality. Elder Callister continued his talk by giving us wise council on how we could have an increase of spirituality in our own personal lives.

If you want to grow spiritually take control of your:
  • prayers- Pause before you pray and choose one or two things to talk to Heavenly Father about. What is on your mind and in your heart? Don't be concerned if your words aren't eloquent, just tell Him what is on your mind.
  • fasting- What do yo u really hunger and thirst for? Present that before the Lord. Really search your heart.
  • scripture reading- Pause at the end of each verse and ask, "What does this mean?"
  • thoughts- Are your thoughts wasted?
  • sacrament participation
  • language used

I've been asking myself these question all week and I have begun to see myself thinking and acting in a different way. I hope you too find these thoughts helpful. It's so wonderful to know that those the Lord calls, he strengthens. As I sat and listened to Elder Callister speak I had a sweet spirit confirm to me that this was one of God's chosen servants, called to teach His word .

Hope you have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Holly - thanks for sharing such wonderful words of wisdom! This was such a good way to start my morning and something I really need to think about and work on. Hope you are doing well!

Marianne said...

Holly--I just came across your blog and read this entry. It was something I needed to hear! I even hung up David O. McKay's quote on my bathroom door as a reminder. Thanks for passing on your insights.