Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Whole Grains...You Can't Live Without 'Em

Recently I've been studying the topic of "Whole Grains" in order to get continuing education credits to remain registered as a dietitian. I have learned so much and want to share some of it with you.

In the past we've focused on whole grains and the digestive health benefits of fiber, but recent research has proven that eating at least three-ounce equivalents a day of whole grains can:

  • lower your risk of heart disease

  • help reduce your risk of various cancers

  • lower your chances of getting diabetes

  • help manage blood glucose levels if you already have diabetes

  • play an important role in weight management

Those are some pretty amazing health claims don't you think? Studies indicate that increasing consumption of whole grains may play a greater role in preventing heart disease than consumption of fruits and vegetables alone. Regardless of whether or not this statistic is 100% correct, eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains is a powerhouse protection for your body.

So what is a "whole grain"? It is the entire edible part of any grain (wheat, oats, corn, rice, barley, etc). It contains three components: bran (fiber, B vitamins, trace minerals), endosperm (carbohydrates, protein) and germ (antioxidants, Vitamin E, B Vitamins, healthy fats, phytonutrients). You may already be familiar with the term "wheat germ". A product must conatain 51% or more whole grain by weight in order to be labeled as "whole grain". Since these components of whole grains work synergystically, the health benefits of whole grains cannot be duplicated by supplements or by eating individual components of the grain (ie germ or bran). With whole grains, "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts." Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know.

So what does all of this mean for you? If you want to reap the health benefits associated with eating whole grains:

  • look for the term "whole grain" on the package
  • read the ingredients list looking for the words "whole grain" or "whole) at the top of the list (it should come before a grain such as wheat, rice, oat or barley)
  • incorporate whole wheat flour into your own baking

Under my "Healthy and Happy" section (located on the right-hand side of our blog) I've posted several ideas on how you can quickly and inexpensively incorporate whole grains into your meals and snacks. I've also included serving sizes of whole grains so you can focus on eating 3 ounces of whole grains each day. And for your enjoyment I've shared with you one of my favorite whole grain recipes-wheat pancakes.

I may sound a bit crazy and overenthusiastic about this whole grain thing, but when something so simple reaps such significant health benefits, I can't keep my mouth shut. If you have any questions or thoughts, please share!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks for the tips! I took a class at a woman's conference in Kanab last fall and learned some of those same things about grains, and also how to sprout them. The presenter also talked about the advantages of soaking your whole grains before using them to neutralize the phylic? acid (which slows down digestion, if I remember right) and help you better utilize all the good stuff in the middle of the grain. Unfortunately it's not been easy for me to implement big diet changes with a young busy household. But you have inspired me to try it again. Thanks for sharing your talent!
Lisa

Jules said...

So fun to hear back from you and see your beautiful family! Seeing the New Mexican desert backdrop for your family photos makes me homesick! How do you like Albuquerque? (I'm assuming you're still there?).

Anyway, I look forward to keeping tabs on eachother and to reading your health tips!

Julie Nielson

Taylor and Stephanie Haught said...

I really appreciate this post! I am always looking for healthier recipes to present to my children. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing. I always check for whole grain in the ingredients list because sometimes they claim it on the wrapper in big letters but it isn't actually full of whole grains. But I appreciated the list of serving sizes because I have been thinking about it and wanting to be more conscious, but haven't actually done anything about looking it up. Life made easy by Holly! Thanks! =)

shelley said...

That's awesome Holly. I can always do better with stuff like this. I had a friend in OR who was really good at eating healthy/whole grains, etc. and she introduced me to whole wheat pastry flour (basically soft white wheat). Have you tried it? Even Chad can't tell the difference (usually) between it and white/refined! :)

Courtney said...

Thanks for posting this Holly. Lately I've really felt the need help my family eat better and adding more whole grains is a great way to start. Thanks for the inspiration!