Thursday, April 21, 2011

Half Marathon

Last Saturday I ran the Albuquerque Half Marathon. I've run a couple of races over the past few years just for fun with Dave, but it has been 6 years since I've really "raced." I love to run and I love to race even more...it runs deep in my blood.

Race day was absolutely beautiful! As the race started I got into my groove and just enjoyed the run (well, miles 11 & 12 weren't so enjoyable). I really pushed myself and ended up finishing in a time of 1:41 (which put me 1st in my age division and the 6th overall female). I wish my time would have been a little faster; however, I know I gave it my all and that makes me satisfied!


The gals and I pre-race


...and we're off




Waving to Dave and the boys




I met Rachel at mile 8 and ran with her for several miles. We became quick friends as we discovered that each of us has 3 kiddos. We chatted about motherhood as we ran, trying to take our minds off the pain of racing.


Cross Country runners in training...check out Will's awesome form!







At this point I felt like I had 20 pound hams tied to each leg, hence the short stride and lack of high knees as I tried to kick it in to the finish. Having Dave and the boys cheering me on gave me strength to make it to the end.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Way to go Holly! You look exactly the same as you did when we were roommates. I started running this year. I like it just enough to go 3-4 miles 2-3 times per week with the girls around here, but you remember how much I didn't like it back then. Anyway, happy running! =)

Kristin said...

I am so proud of you Holly! Thanks for posting all the pictures. It is fun to see you do something that you love so much. I am glad you did it!

paulandjenthatcher said...

Wow! I'm so impressed, Holly! I knew you were fast way back when, but to win 1st in your age group after having 3 kids is awesome! I'm so proud of you! I loved the video of Dave and the boys cheering. It made me cry! It was like I was there watching you make it to the finish line. What an accomplishment!