Donuts, pizza and chocolate cake have brought me such happiness lately. I know it sounds crazy, especially coming from me, but let me tell you why. About a month and a half ago I took Hyrum to see an allergist that a friend of mine recommended to us. He did a skin prick test in his office and then sent us to have blood work done. A few days later he called to let us know that Hryum's allergy levels for milk and eggs had decreased to the point where he wanted us to start slowly introducing them to him in baked goods. It has been so fun to watch Hyrum try new foods. At first he was a bit hesitant and afraid to eat things he has been told his whole life he can't have, but now that he knows how good "real food" tastes he's pretty willing to try anything. A few weeks ago we went to a community service project that served Crispy Creme donuts afterwards. I told Hyrum he could try one if he wanted to and he eagerly accepted the offer. I looked over at him after he'd been eating for a few minutes and he was just standing there all alone with a huge smile on his face. I asked him how the donut was to which he replied, "soooo good!" That was the first time it really hit me that this was real...Hyrum was eating his first donut and savoring every bite. He has been a real trooper over the past six years to graciously say, "I can't eat that". What a blessing this is for our family. I think it will be awhile still before Hyrum can tolerate straight eggs, milk or milk products that have not been cooked, but we are definitely moving in the right direction.
 |
| Hyrum eating his first "real" pizza, cheese and all |
1 comment:
Holly,
I was reading this post and realized that I had tears in my eyes. I'm not sure if it was because I was so happy for Hyrum (and you!) or because reading about you guys made me miss you. Congratulations!
Teresa
Post a Comment